Irish border after Brexit ‘must not return to past – BBC
- On a tour of the Irish border alongside fellow Democrat Nancy Pelosi, Congressman Richard Neal expressed concern about the impact of Brexit on the legacy of the Good Friday Agreement.
- Mr Neal recalled a previous trip to the border when the bus he was travelling on was searched by the Army.
- He said the United States was a “guarantor” of the Good Friday Agreement.
Brexit: No deal means hard Irish border, says Selmayr
- One of the European Commission’s most powerful officials has said that a no-deal Brexit would mean a hard Irish border.
- Since Mr Selmayr’s comments the EU has intensified its no deal planning.
- Officials have made clear that no deal would mean checks on goods moving from NI to the Republic.
- However the question of where and how those checks would take place remains open.