Russia meddled with Scottish independence vote whilst Brexit involvement still unclear – Reuters
- Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC) has published a report which suggests Russia undertook campaigns to influence the Scottish independence referendum.
- The UK government has been accused of rejecting the committee’s call for a full investigation into Russia’s interference in the Brexit campaign and vote.
- The ISC has called for a transparent, unclassified report to be published following heavy redactions in the current report.
- The committee suggests London is a favourable place for Russian money to flow through due to the limited questions asked about the original source of wealth.
Tory rebels defeated in trying to get Brexit trade deals through parliament – Independent
- Tory rebels, backed by the Opposition benches, tried to pass an amendment to the Trade Bill to give parliament a say on any Brexit trade deal agreed by the government.
- The government has been accused of avoiding scrutiny and accountability.
- There is concern that a trade deal without parliamentary consent may leave the NHS weak to interest from foreign companies as well as undermining farmers and consumers.
- The amendment may have helped to ensure the NHS remains free at the point of delivery, preserved NHS pay rates and protected the quality of health and care services.