UK must face possibility of no future relationship with EU by end of December – Sky News
- Chief negotiator David Frost has suggested the UK continue to prepare for “all possible scenarios” for the end of the year.
- This comes after reports yesterday about the UK and the EU still being far from reaching an agreement in terms of a trade deal.
- The UK acknowledges large gaps between the two parties on topics such as fisheries and competition rules.
- Mr Frost expressed he is still looking for a deal similar to the one the EU has with Canada and it remains “unclear why this is so difficult for the EU”.
- The UK is optimistic in terms of bridging the gaps and finding a way to reach a deal by the end of August or September.
- Mr Barnier has said the UK’s attempt to completely exclude the EU from fishing in British waters is totally unacceptable.
- The EU believes the UK is refusing to display a “willingness to break the deadlock”, something which may ultimately lead to a no-deal Brexit.