Brexit: Welsh ports under threat from post-Brexit trade – BBC News
- The Welsh government has warned that the effect of post-Brexit trading patterns seriously threatens the sustainability of its Irish Sea ports.
- The flow of trade through Welsh ports has collapsed since January with 50% less volume going through Holyhead and 40% less in the south West compared to February last year.
- Brexit and the Irish Sea border has resulted in more Irish-EU bound exports directly going to France or Belgium and UK-bound export going direct to Cairnryan or Liverpool.
Brexit: NI protocol needs consent of ‘all of the people’ in Northern Ireland – BBC News
EU keen to resume Brexit talks to end Northern Ireland row – The Guardian
- The UK Brexit minister, Lord Frost, has questioned the durability of the NI Protocol. The Protocol can only be removed by a majority vote with a vote set to take place in 2024.
- This follows the UK’s actions earlier this month where it unilaterally changed the implementation of the Protocol, prompting the EU to begin legal action.
- The EU has given the UK until mid-April before it decides on further legal action.
- Ireland’s foreign minister, Simon Coveney, has indicated there may be a willingness to show flexibility to resolve the issue including looking at extensions to grace periods.
Data shows collapse of UK food and drink exports post-Brexit – The Guardian
Salmon, Beef, Whisky exports from UK to EU plunge after Brexit – Bloomberg
- According to the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) the UK’s export market has slumped dramatically following Brexit, suffering a £750 million (75.5% decrease) compared to January 2020.
- Among the hardest hit exports were salmon (98% drop), beef (91.5% drop) and cheese (85.1%) when compared to the previous year.
- This is part of a larger export slump, with the ONS reporting that exports to the EU fell by 40.7% in January of this year when compared to January 2020 while imports from the EU has also dropped 28.8% with significant declines in the imports of cars, medicine and pharmaceuticals.